Just as you should winterize your solar water fountains for winter, you should also prepare them again for spring. As the weather starts to become milder and gradually gets warmer, you may be anticipating the day you can operate your water fountain again. The steps are simple to follow to get your fountain ready for use again.
1. Hopefully you stored your solar water fountain’s parts properly if it was required. You should check the ground where the fountain was last year if you intend for it to be there again. If not check the spot where you intend to put the fountain. Solar water fountains can be placed in any location where the panel is exposed to the sun. Ensure that the ground is still level and free of debris.
2. Inspect the parts of the fountain; this includes everything except the pump, which is handled separately. Hopefully the fountain was either inside in storage or covered, protecting it from the elements and extending its life. You want to look for cracks, color changes, and other signs of wear. Any cracks should be sealed to prevent leakage. You should now clean each piece and sterilize each one as well. A quick dunking in a mild chlorine solution will do the trick.
3. Now it’s time to inspect the pump. Solar water fountains have pumps just like other fountains, except they get their power from a solar panel instead of an electric outlet. The pump should be checked for worn places and then should be thoroughly cleaned and sterilized like the other fountain parts.
4. Put the fountain back together. It’s probably a good idea to refer to the manufacturer’s instructions when setting the fountain back up. If you no longer have them it’s likely they can be found on the website of the manufacturer or the store from which you purchased the fountain.
5. Accessories such as lights should be inspected, cleaned, and sterilized. New bulbs should be installed if necessary.
6. Fill with water and start your fountain flowing. It’s best to wait to set up the fountain until after all threats of freezing have passed. In addition, solar water fountains require sunshine to operate, so it’s best to start your fountain out when the sun is full and warm. This will allow the fountain to operate at optimal levels and reveal any problems that may have risen.
Now it’s time to enjoy your solar water fountain’s soothing sounds.