You will need to use fountain water treatment on a regular basis when you have a fountain or a garden waterfall. These treatments are usually suggested for owners as a temporary solution to the buildup of algae and scale. It is not recommended as a permanent solution; meaning, you must still clean the fountain and replace the water as directed.
Fountain chemicals are best for deferred maintenance and can help to keep the water looking clear and smelling like water (instead of other gross things). Ideally, this treatment allows you to go longer periods of time without cleaning the fountain. Tap water in certain areas will contain high levels of calcium, lime and other naturally occurring elements which can cause build up in your fountain basin. If you notice a white powder or a pink slimy substance on the edges of the basin, this may be a sign of calcium, lime and hard or soft water. These types of issues can be controlled with products containing no more white scale in the name. These products work best if used from the beginning when you add water to your new fountain. The main way to eliminate many water problems in your fountain is to use distilled water which does not contain any of these minerals. Make sure you follow the manufacturers suggested dosage for any fountain water treatments you are using in any fountain.
First of all, let’s try and understand why these fountain water treatments are necessary. Ordinarily (and even if you keep the fountain as healthy as possible) you will still have lots of mineral deposits forming in the basin and inside the pump. This usually results from using tap water instead of distilled water. Distilled water is not the same thing as filtered water. Even clean water can still have pollutants in it.
Algae feed on water and grow at a fast rate, all the more so if it is exposed to sunlight. Whenever you notice the water developing a strange smell or see it darkening, this is because of algae growth. While some people may advise you to use bleach to get rid of the algae, this is not commonly recommended. Bleach can actually be harmful to the pump operation and is known to damage some materials, which could be part of the basin.
Algae can be eliminated using fountain water treatment. This treatment is usually called anti-algae treatment and other similar product names. Do not assume that algae can only grow outside. Algae can grow just as rapidly in interior rooms. Algae grow faster with tap water but it can still grow if you use distilled water. Whenever you get the feeling that the water is “slimy” then the algae has spread rather far. All it takes is a few drops of fountain water treatments to destroy algae and prevent the growth of it. Adding a few drops of fountain chemical treatment per gallon is more than enough. Keep this practice up once a week for the best results.
Keep in mind that it’s not always practical to use distilled water with larger basins. Some owners would rather just buy anti-white scale water treatment than have to worry about using large volumes of distilled water.
Using this special treatment, you can prevent the growth of algae and bacteria and keep your fountain or waterfall smelling fresh!
Category: Fountain Maintenance Tips